21 February 2007

Chick'n Bela

No, it's not another food post. I'm just in from the Chick Corea and Bela Fleck concert at RiverCenter. I don't pretend to understand jazz. If music is indeed a language, it's Latin to the Spanish that is the rock 'n' roll I'm so passionate about. Changes in rhythm puzzle me. Shifts in key blow my mind. I've yet to see how improvisation can fit into a gem of a pop song. So I won't be reviewing the show.


But damn.

This was an awesome concert. The material was largely new, from the two's collaborative CD, due out in May. In the aptly titled song "Spectacle," Corea's fingers slid over keys so fast that it would've blistered them, save for the fact that surely his 65-year-old fingers are calloused. The chemistry between the two players was more than enough to span the gap musicians have cut between piano and banjo. They kidded between songs, they applauded each other, and the audience was so enthralled that you could hear Corea tapping his canvas sneaks during quieter passages.

And Fleck pleased the crowd with a portion of the song that drew him to the banjo in the first place -- Flatt & Scruggs' "The Ballad of Jed Clampett," the famous theme to "The Beverly Hillbillies."

I'll not preach about the hundreds of seats that were criminally empty. I'll not fuss about those who left at intermission ("I just don't get jazz," one woman said. You gotta listen to hear, lady). For tonight, I'll just be glad I was there and that Bela and Chick were here, in Columbus. The greatest banjo player in the world and probably the greatest living jazz pianist picked our town for only their second show together. You shouldda been there.

5 comments:

TybeeDawg said...

Well said. I couldn't agree more!

ilikechet said...

Yes indeed, those who didn't attend this concert missed a great opportunity to hear, as you said,
2 of the greatest musicians in the world.Probably there were those who attended expecting to hear "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" from Bela and maybe "Misty" from Chick.What we heard was 2 musicians who got together to really stretch and expand their music creativity with each other.in order to create something
really unique..And that's exactly what they did.I can't wait to get their CD of the songs they collaborated on. The other world class musician we need to see in Columbus is the great guitarist
Tommy Emmanuel.See ya there.
Michael Griffin

eileen said...

we looked down upon you from the highest of the high (balcony), we wanted to come and find y'all and muss rusty's 'do, but intermissions get twangly, so we missed you... but we sent you twinkles. & since we don't know if you got them. so here's a few: * * * * * * * * * * * * *** * * * * * * *

Brad Barnes said...

We abandoned our seats at intermission anyway, to scope out the merch -- and get our FREE Chick Corea CD, for signing up for the mailing list. Yippee!

TybeeDawg said...

Oh yeah, my wife still has my CD!