13 February 2007

Letters about the flags of Iwo Jima

I had to settle for seeing "Flags of Our Fathers" without my wife. She's wary of violence and sobbed her way through "Saving Private Ryan." Anyway, I saw "Flags" last night, and I'll probably go see "Letters from Iwo Jima" on Thursday. Toyed with seeing them back-to-back in a Clint-Eastwood-Second-World-War Fest, but that would've shellshocked even this jaded fellow.


It'd be wrong to say I enjoyed the movie, but it was very good. I think the focus on the Iwo Jima flag, and the picture, and the incidents surrounding it served to dehumanize the story a bit, and that's a merciful thing. "Iwo Jima" -- which tells the story from the Japanese p.o.v. -- has gotten generally stronger reviews, so I'll post thoughts on that after I see it.

Anyway, I'm trying to put these movies behind me, because "The Last King of Scotland" opens here this weekend.

No comments: