18 February 2007

Potato potato potato. Mmmmm.

Down on one end of the table, someone ordered the trout. Jenn bravely ordered something that the menu called Veggies Fear Not, in which they wouldn't even tell her the ingredients in advance, but this being a gourmet place, she wasn't scairt. (It was pasta with a lovely medley of pasta and fresh vedge-ables, by the way.) I had hanger steak. Eric, next to me had a fillet Mignon. But it was the little fried poofy thing next to it I was most curious about.

He cut into it with his fork. It was a fluffy ball of mashed potato, deep-fried in a light batter. He let me have a bite. And that is why he's my very good friend. This concoction was creamy, crisp on the outside. Heaven. ... So having grown up (a) in the South, and (b) a lover of all things potato, I've now got serious questions about my intelligence, for it never occurred to me to deep fry a ball of mashed potato.
Found a recipe, though, and tried this myself at home this weekend. It was fantastic. (Look how tasty!) I did the potato poofs first, then I used the same oil for some panko-coated shrimp with a recipe I ripped out of Esquire last year. We tamed down these two fried concoctions with some roasted asparagus that Jenn made and had a tasty brunch on Sunday. And yes, that's a Bloody Mary in the background. (Which reminds me. Next tip: Publix has organic tomato juice on sale.)

If you're not afraid of deep frying something once in a while, try this meal. I used peanut oil instead of the canola that the potato poofs called for. But I'll be damned if they could've been tastier any other way.

9 comments:

eileen said...

so nice to experience a human of the male persuasion who is so well rounded. I'm gonna try making these.

who's covering bela fleck/chick corea?

Brad Barnes said...

You kidding me? I'm all about cooking. It springs from my love for eating. In fact, the more I cook, the more well-rounded I become. So to speak.

I think we're shooting pix at Fleck/Corea, but I'd be surprised if we do more than that. As a rule we don't do show reviews. I'll be there, though, and I'll likely post about it on Thursday.

Jenn said...

Uh....so who's creamy and crisp on the outside--Eric or the potato?

Brad Barnes said...

Well, I only tried the potato. (Good point. I amended the post to clear up any, uh, confusion.)

eileen said...

sent you an email at the ledger address...

Allison Kennedy said...

will you make these for the chili par-tay?
allison

Brad Barnes said...

No way. They'd just take up valuable stomach space for "not chili."

Hi-D said...

If you were a REAL southerner, there wouldn't be a food on Earth you hadn't considered frying. After all, your people dump hot bacon grease on LETTUCE, for God's sake.

Brad Barnes said...

Yeah, I guess Florida south isn't like South south. Thank god.