16 March 2007

Hey, eh. New music, eh.

Took my second sick day of the year today. Ugh. I'm trying to figure out how this happened, and in the spirit of "Proof," which I watched from home today, I'll try to express it in a mathematical theorem:


W + I = M(P)

Where W is Warm Weather; I is Irritable Lungs; M is Mucus; P is Phlegm. ... Therefore, Warm Weather plus Irritable Lungs equals Mucus times Phlegm. Or just "WIMP" for short.

Aside from watching the movie, I listened to three new (to me, at least) musical acquisitions that all are tied to Canada. I'll rank them from worst to best.

Worst: The Besnard Lakes, "The Besnard Lakes Are the Dark Horse." One of the best-reviewed discs of the year so far comes from this Montreal band. And it's fine. Beach Boys-meets-Pink Floyd is the common sentiment. It's just a little too subconscious for me. Great mood music, but not the can't-stop-playing-it platter I hoped for.

Better: Arcade Fire, "Neon Bible." Plenty of buzz around these playas, too (also from Montreal). And their first record, "Funeral," is the reason. This followup, three years later, is broader in sound, but it lacks the raw energy of the previous. And the lyrics, the thematic Christianity aside, are honestly pretty weak. (e.g.: "Working for the Church while your family dies/You take what they give you and you keep it inside/Every spark of friendship and love will die without a home/Hear the solider groan, 'We'll go at it alone' ")

Best: Of Montreal, "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?" Of Montreal, pictured here, are not of Montreal. They're of Athens, Ga. So their Canadian connection is in name only. But the band's latest record is an incredibly danceable set of songs that sounds like ABBA meets Bowie. The novelty might wear off eventually, but it's going to get a lot of spins first.

3 comments:

Allison Kennedy said...

B--Feel better soon! Drink your juice. ... (I'm sure Jenn is making good sure of that.)

Allison Kennedy said...

P.S. we didn't go to Four Winds today, because of your absence. ... so, next friday??

Brad Barnes said...

oh yeah. next friday. it's on.