16 July 2007

Potter-y Barnes

Take anything I have to say about Harry Potter with a Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Jelly Bean that tastes like a grain of salt. I haven't read a single one of the books. But I have seen all five films.

Hated the first one. Disliked the second one. Loved the third one. Thought the fourth one was very good. Now, with all that said, how does "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," the film, rank?

I'd put it as third best, behind "Azkaban" (No. 3) and, just barely, behind "Goblet of Fire" (No. 4). There's nothing at all here that'll really annoy fans. There was a signature event at the end that was presented rather abruptly and without a deft directorial touch, and I had a couple of other pacing/casting quibbles, but I enjoyed it. Most importantly, I could follow what the hell was going on without having read the giant tomes.

Addendum: For some reason, the ticket stub made me think my new printer was finally in at OfficeMax...

3 comments:

ali said...

why would u want to base a judgement on a movie thats based on a book? all you see is a condenced version that is depicting somebody elses imagination.
i found the comments linking hp with sexual referances incredibly amusing though, no doubt you may have made afew over-protective parents somewhat paranoid but thats often the price of humour. the site is awesome though

ali said...

why would u want to base a judgement on a movie thats based on a book? all you see is a condenced version that is depicting somebody elses imagination.
i found the comments linking hp with sexual referances incredibly amusing though, no doubt you may have made afew over-protective parents somewhat paranoid but thats often the price of humour. the site is awesome though

Brad Barnes said...

Thanks Ali. ... I guess I figured the movie should stand on their own -- for the four of us who go to the movies without reading the books. But I know I'm definitely in the minority.