11 July 2007

Pumpkins vs. Trucker (Somebody call Interpol)

So with three anticipated alt-rock releases all out on Tuesday, the question is, which do you buy:

* The reformed Smashing Pumpkins' "Zeitgeist"?
* Interpol's major-label debut?
* or former Drive-By Trucker Jason Isbell's, "Sirens of the Ditch"?

The answer surprises this longtime DBT fan. It's Interpol. I thought Isbell would get my vote for sure. And it is good. But it's a lot more polished (and soft) than Trucker fans are probably going to appreciate.

True, the Interpol disc might not pave a lot of new ground, but it's interesting stuff and the backbeat's strong -- which is more than I can say about the Corgan and Co.'s project. I'm amazed that bands can still find new ways of doing this nouveau garage sound, but as long as the results come out like this, what's the (ahem) crime.

"You can throw me in the Colbert County jailhouse
You can throw me off the Wilson Dam
But there ain't much difference in the man I wanna be
And the man I really am"
-- Drive-By Truckers, "Never Gonna Change"

1 comment:

TybeeDawg said...

I just got the Isbell record earlier in the week, and agree that it's bit softer than DBT, but Jason really only had a couple of rockers anyways, his best stuff was the moody, slower things like "Danko/Manuel."

"Never Gonna Change," however, is the song that should have been blasting out of 78 Trans-Ams all over the city.