16 August 2007

Very unpleasin' sneezin' and wheezin'

Seen Springsteen just once live, when he turned Philips Arena into a raucous, rock 'n' roll church service, circa 1999 or so. I drove 6 hours for the show, and Bruce played 3 straight without taking a break. I figure we're even.


I was a fan since the early 1990s -- after I finally got past my "Born in the USA" biases and explored his earliest work, but still long before the likes of The Hold Steady and Arcade Fire made him cool for the multitudes. My favorite record is still "Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.," mostly for the song "Lost in the Flood" (see below).

So anyway, there's news on E Street. He's reunited with the old band for a rock record, due out Oct. 2. (Track list and such here.) It's called "Magic," and I'm hoping a little of that old magic will be back. There's good reason to hope, since last year's Seeger sessions sounded truly reinvigorating.

"Well there's blazin' noise, boys, he's gunnin' that bitch
loaded to blastin' point
He rides head first into a hurricane
and disappears into a point
And there's nothin' left but some blood where the body fell
That is, nothin' left that you could sell
Just junk all across the horizon,
a real highwayman's farewell"
-- Bruce Springsteen, "Lost in the Flood"

No comments: