28 October 2007

Sunday Spins

Nursing a bit of a post-Halloween party hangover and ended up worshipping the porcelain god in a different way. What I mean is, I finished touching up the trim in the new bathroom and was able to reinstall the toilet in there. It's gorgeous already, but I'll save the pics for when the clawfoot tub's in there too. So stay tuned. That's probably two weeks away.

So here's what was in the CD carousel while I was working:

* Jonathan Byrd, "The Waitress": Saw this guy, whose reminiscent of early Shawn Mullins, perform at the bygone Playwright Cafe in C-town.

* Van Morrison, "His Band and His Street Choir": I wanted to play "St. Dominick's Preview," but the disc wasn't in the case. This one's a fine disc, though, with "Domino," "Crazy Face," and "I'll Be Your Lover, Too."

* Ethan Daniel Davidson, "Bootleg Series Vol. 1": This folkie lived in Alaska for a while, but now he tours the country giving away his CDs to anyone who wants them. He's played The Loft a few times. Check out his "Talkin' San Francisco Dot-Com Kid Massacre."

* Mott the Hoople, "Super Hits": Pretty sad that a "best of" compilation stands at just 10 brief songs, eh? Singer Ian Hunter is probably best known these days for penning "Once Bitten, Twice Shy." Yeah, the song Great White made a hit later...

* Blondie, "The Best of Blondie": "The Tide Is High" is a wonderful song, sort of proto-ska. But "Call Me" is one of the best songs by anyone ever.

5 comments:

Maggie&Bandit said...

If Mott the Hoople's best equals 10 songs, then we'd hate to see how many will be on the "Best of Terry Jacks."
He had joy, he had fun.....but his hits only numbered one.

(Mom says you'll kill us for getting that one stuck in your head. Bring it on.)

Brad Barnes said...

You guys are bad, bad dogs. You don't want to get in a one-upsmanship of one-hit wonders with me, I promise you.

Jenn said...

That sounded like a challenge to me, pups! Bring 'em on--you can take him!

Maggie&Bandit said...

We're Hooked on a Feeling....High on Believin' ....that the Blue Swede version is the better one.

Brad Barnes said...

So we're gonna do this, huh? Well, alright, but I feel like I should warn you that...

...Sometimes I've got to (bomp-bomp) run away, I've got to (bomp-bomp) get away, from the pain that you drive into the heart of me.