19 November 2007

1-800-ANN-OYING

The people at Callaway Gardens are very nice, and I like them and all. But one of my pet peeves is when people try to spell a word that's more than seven digits with their phone numbers. (Or 10 digits. I'll give you 10 if you use the area code to help spell.)

Callaway claims its toll-free number is 1-800-CALLAWAY, for instance. It's not. It's 1-800-225-5292. Which, if you look at your phone, is 1-800-CALLAWA. It's petty, I know, but every time I write something for print that has their number in it, I convert the word to numbers to save the reader from fishing around the alphabet on the keypad, and I end up with 1-800-225-52929. And that's more than a little confusing.

Maybe I'll just start referring to them as Callawa Gardens.

"O.K., so no-one's answering
Well can't you just let it ring a little longer, longer, longer
I'll just sit tight
Through the shadows of the night
Let it ring for ever more"
-- E.L.O., "Telephone Line"

No comments: