17 December 2007

Gunfight at the Carmike Corral

The only film I saw this weekend was "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford." The movie is even longer than the title, but I don't mind that. I've actually got a thing for slow, deliberately paced films, which is part of my fascination with M. Knight Shyamalan.

The same can't be said, though, for the seven brats behind me, all 20something men. One of them kept sighing with that exasperated, exaggerated lip-flapping exhale. Like four times. I guess they were expecting this to be "American Outlaws" or some crap, instead of an interesting character study. About two hours in, they finally all got up and left. "Beowulf" was showing just down the hall, y'know.

Really, with today's Internets and all, there's no reason to walk into a movie with no idea of what's in store. So I got no sympathy for 'em. I just wish they'd got up and left an hour earlier.

(What you've heard about Casey Affleck's acting is spot-on, by the way. He's fabulous. And I loved the bit parts played by Nick Cave and James Carville.)

"Now the people held their breath when they heard of Jesse's death,
And wondered how he ever came to fall.
Robert Ford, it was a fact, he shot Jesse in the back,
While Jesse hung a picture on the wall."
-- Traditional, "Jesse James"

No comments: