29 December 2007

'Legend' of the mawl

We're down doing late Xmas with the folks. We decide to do an after-dinner movie. Jenn and I are trying to choose the less violent film, between "No Country for Old Men," and "I Am Legend." After reading a few reviews, we lean to Will-i-am Smith.

We may have chosen wrong. Yah! Very intense. Better than I expected. But my violence-opposed wife was curled up in a ball or wrapped on my arm the whole time. (Hey, maybe I made the right choice after all...)

Not sure if there's a deeper message to the film, though. Other than mankind is hellbent on self-destruction. But heck, Leonard Cohen's been saying that for years.

"I've seen the nations rise and fall
I've heard their stories, heard them all
But love's the only engine of survival
...
And now the wheels of heaven stop
You feel the devil's riding crop
Get ready for the future. It is murder"
-- Leonard Cohen, "The Future"

2 comments:

Allison Kennedy said...

You g'won see the Lowdogs?

Brad Barnes said...

done did. everybody's good.