01 January 2008

Damn dirty apes

One of the best things about the little bits of extra time off you sometimes find at the end of the year is not the time to do things you need to do. It's the time to do things you don't need to do. In the immortal words of the BOC, it's the "time to play B-sides."


I watched all five original "Planet of the Apes" movies, which were shown back-to-back on AMC. When ever in my life would I have time and the ability to ever do that again, I rationalized.

Now, having done that, I can tell you that there's no need to see anything but the first film and the fourth film ("Conquest of the Planet of the Apes"). Unless you're bored. Or you really like monkeys. One of my buddies observed that the films were sort of monster movies with social commentary -- sort of America's answer to Godzilla. And that brings us full circle, back to the Blue Oyster guys...

"Helpless people on a subway train
Scream for God as he looks in on them
He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town"
-- Blue Oyster Cult, "Godzilla"

2 comments:

TybeeDawg said...

I watched season one of "Friday Night Lights," "Death Proof," "Dial M for Murder," "Trouble with Harry," "High Sierra," finished Al Gore's "Assault on Reason" and started James Lee Burke's "Tin Roof Blowdown." Nice to have time to catch up, I agree!

maggie&bandit said...

So you're telling us that you watched 6 movies that basically foster the thought that man is hell-bent on self-destruction?
What's next? "Planet of the Wiener Dogs"?