07 February 2008

ESP(i)N

Much like newspapers, magazines are in a bit of a crisis. Ad revenue is drying up. Readers, as in people who read for leisure, are disappearing amid other diversions like video games, the Internets and those newfangled hi-fi systems.

So rock 'n' roll's Spin Magazine has just gone online — and for free, for at least the next 12 months. Having read the past year's issues of Seventeen magazine (as regular blog readers are painfully aware), I was skeptical. It's not easy to read a magazine on a computer. The good news is, Spin's made it as easy as I've ever seen it. There's a drop-down contents menu, and there's a single-click zoom on any page to read the story. Check it out here.

(I just learned that Bob Mould was on the shortlist of producers for "Nevermind," and he's got Nirvana's demos for it in his basement somewhere. I also learned that he wrote scripts for World Championship Wrestling, which led to the gem of a quote in the inset...)

"Covered up with lava and I feel fine
It washes over me
Keeps me feeling warm at night
And if you've made a deal with
The guy with the horns and the cape
I'll see you later later"
Sugar, "Hoover Dam"

No comments: