04 February 2008

Hang up and drive

The cyclist killed in a car vs. bikes wreck in a rural stretch of Georgia yesterday was a friend of two of my Bibb City neighbors. I don't know, for sure, that a cell phone was in the 17-year-old driver's hands when she hit the two bike riders. But I can say that it's the first thing I wondered after hearing about the wreck.

It's funny that when you anyone polls people, people will say that the use of cell phones by drivers should be banned. Yet when you look at other drivers, they're all using those phones. Is this the cheesecake syndrome? I know I shouldn't eat that piece of cheesecake. I want to lose weight and live a long, happy life. But the cheesecake is right there...

I'm not generally in favor of more laws. And I've never thought the government should be in the business of legislating morality. But if we need to make driving-while-phoning illegal to make people stop, so be it.

2 comments:

TybeeDawg said...

I was saddened by the incident, but also saddened by the pile of horse-hockey comments on the L-E's webpage concerning this accident.

Between that and Sound Off, I'm always amazed at the level of idiocy people can achieve when they can do it anonymously.

Brad Barnes said...

i read about three pages of comments, mouth literally open in disgust. then i closed the browser. unbelievable.