01 March 2008

Death Race 2008

Cat away, mouse play, right? I've been hankering to ride my bike for a few weeks now, but never want to do it when Jenn's around. Cuz she's got a crummy cruiser one-speed and can't go with me. So anyway, she was off this morning on a spring break trip, and I thought I'd spin down the Riverwalk for a bit.

I almost didn't wear my helmet. "This is just a joyride," I thought. "It's not like I'm going to be racing." But I wore it anyway, with the thought that even a low-speed wreck that wasn't my fault could be deadly without the hat. I guess I'm officially old. Whatever.

Turned out to be fortunate. The bike slipped on a bit of parallel railroad track I was trying to cross. Before I even realized I'd lost my balance the bike went out from under me and I was on the road. I sat on the curb about 10 minutes, waiting for me knee to stop bleeding and making sure nothing was broken. (Landed on my right wrist, it's pretty clear, and it folded under. It hurts. It's bleeding. But it ain't broke.) I dug an impressive quantity of gravelly bits out from both hands, found a Quizno's napkin (cleanish) blowing about to dab up some pooling blood, retracked my chain and started home. It was a long 3 miles.

I'd post some grotesque pictures, but Jenn took the camera with her. Lucky you.

4 comments:

Maggie&Bandit said...

Hey, we're really sorry you fell. We know road rash is really nasty. Staffer Mom fell in Columbus on the train tracks, too, and she whined for days. We recommend you let Sidda and Seamus lick it and it will get better faster.

Allison Kennedy said...

Hey, happens to the best of us. Glad you wore that helmet!

Patty said...

Helmets are for the inteeligent. Saved your noodle.

Brad Barnes said...

yeah, i wouldn't have hit my head i this case. but it goes to show how little control you can have over whether or not you take the spill. and i could've just as easily squashed my brains...