27 March 2008

Hercules, Hercules!*

Though I love a few Elton John songs dearly, I've never been a huge fan. I think he was too ballad-centric in a time when I was exploring post-punk and new wave sounds. Or maybe I'm still scarred from the bastardization of "Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road" that Jenn wrote for my 31st birthday. Our dear buddy Rusty performed it, dressed like Bootsy Collins. It was called
"Goodbye, Farewell to Brad's Youth," and in the part where Elton John sings "row-oh-oooad" he instead stretched out the word "prunes."

Nevertheless, I picked up a two-disc best-of collection by Sir Elton the other day. What's hard for me to believe is that they found room for "Crocodile Rock," and that junk from "The Lion King," but there's no "Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" to be found. True, it was never a single, but it's still one of his greatest songs.

*John's middle name, after the horse named Hercules on the British sitcom "Steptoe and Son," per the infallible Wikipedia.

No comments: