17 March 2008

Living for the day

There's a new addition to the all-too short list of Chick Flicks That Don't Suck. "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day" is wonderful. It's not a earth-shattering film by any stretch, but it's got a couple of surprisingly deep sentiments and an important singular message.

Oh, and fellas: We get to see the lovely, doe-eyed Amy Adams in the buff, albeit unfortunately brief and (also unfortunately) tasteful.

I've got an ongoing debate with co-workers and Jenn about why films for the ladies are too often vapid and shallow, when, conceptually, they could be full of character development and real-live emotion. And yes, I'm awared of the irony of me complaining about that right after cheering Adams' nudity. Nudity doesn't have to be vapid and shallow, I say.

So far on the list of ones that don't suck, we've got "Love Actually," "Stardust," "The Family Stone," and now "Pettigrew." I'd probably also put "Breakfast at Tiffany's" on there. I know there are more that aren't coming to me right now. And I'm happy to accept nominations. Comment away, readers.

No comments: