03 May 2008

'Iron Man' lives again

Jon Favreau has delivered a winner with "Iron Man," which, quite simply, is wonderful. It's funny, intense, and somehow believable -- and it comes down to good, clever writing and Robert Downey Jr. selling the role. (Granted, that might not've been hard for him, what with all his character's drinking, and wealth, and getting in trouble with the law and all...) I actually rate it as my favorite comic book adaptation. It makes me sad that Favreau didn't handle the "Daredevil" adaptation, like he'd originally wanted to.

S.H.I.E.L.D. fans shouldn't leave before the end of the credits, despite the annoying Carmike folks trying to rush you out by loudly banging the handrests and crinkling their trash bags.

Just how good was it? Well, I've crafted a little chart to compare it to other comic book adaptations. I stuck to movies that (a) I'd seen, (b) represent the best of the franchise (so "Spider-Man 2" is on there, not the first or third ones), and (c) could fit on the chart. Feel free to argue about it...

***
"Heavy boots of lead
Fills his victims full of dread
Running as fast as they can
Iron man lives again"
-- Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

3 comments:

Shannon Dew said...

Awesome movie...as a comic book afficianado and overall fan boy, I think I've seen every comic based film...Iron Man set a new standard for me, followed closely by Batman Begins...Downey Jr. was perfect as Tony Stark and the little nods to comic book lore (Brodie as War Machine, etc) were great.

Brad Barnes said...

Glad I'm not alone in seeing it as the standard-bearer. Slightly disappointed in the climactic fight, but otherwise flawless.

I accidentally left the X-Men franchise off my handy chart. I'd rank it an 8 for "X-Men II," below "Batman Begins" and above "Hellboy."

Shannon Dew said...

x-men II was very good...I have high hopes for The Dark Knight. Given most new comic franchises have to tell an origin story before they get to the good stuff (i.e. Spider-man 2, X-Men 2, etc) I think Dark Knight will probably be pretty good and gives me HIGH expectations for Iron Man 2. Here's what Marvel Studios released about their schedule:

First up will be "Iron Man 2" which has been scheduled for April 30th 2010.

Matthew Vaughn's take on "Thor" is also set for release on June 4th 2010.

"The First Avenger: Captain America" will swing his shield on May 6th 2011.

The much anticipated superhero team-up "The Avengers" has been scheduled for July 2011.

Wolverine is on target for release next May.