24 June 2008

Big Gay Al

Al Fleming once called me a friend of his, in one of his on-air commentaries. It was after I'd written a long feature on the former newscaster/bar owner on his retirement. I didn't write it to be his friend. I wrote it because I thought he was an interesting person, even if you hated him. Whatever. I did think he was a nice, personable guy. But I'm white and have a wife.

And it makes me itch uncontrollably when he says things like this, in his recent commentary on WLTZ. (Dammit. Can't figure out how to imbed the video. You'll have to click the link to watch.)

Now, I'm straight. But I've got a fair number of friends who aren't. Hey, gay guys tend to run in the same circles as artsy, liberal-ish people -- go figure. So I'm just wondering what Al thinks about being friends with a friend of The Gays.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Al Fleming is an embarrassment to the community. Ironic that he's too shortsighted to see his defense of individual freedom applies to the gay community as well.

Maggie&Bandit said...

We thought the dinosaurs died. Guess there's still one roaming Columbus.

gspence said...

"freedom isn't free...aw, there's a hefty f-in' fee!!" I don't love Al... almost as much as Pearl Harbor sucks.

Bebe Bahnsen said...

I don't watch local TV news, and now I know why. Some of the things Fleming were totally disgusting. How does Columbus allow this bigot to keep broadcasting his hate?

Brad Barnes said...

Maybe we each need to contribute a buck-oh-five to the Al Fleming retirement fund.