23 June 2008

She kissed a girl, too

A couple of weeks ago, when a friend told me about hearing that new song by some woman, "I Kissed a Girl," I gently corrected her. That's Jill Sobule, I told her, and it's not new. It's probably 10 thirteen years old. ... Color me stupid. I hadn't heard Katy Perry's new song, "I Kissed a Girl" at the time.

The songs are very different. Sobule sings about her encounter with an almost sing-songy dismissal. "I kissed a girl, her lips were sweet. She was just like kissing me," she explains in the song. It seems designed to break down barriers.

The one by Perry (shown left, and hot even when covered in dirt) derives its very power from the taboo that Sobule seemed to be trying to quash. Perry's is a mysterious experience shrouded in almost Alanis Morissette-like production. "I kissed a girl, just to try it," she breathes. "I kissed a girl, and I liked it."

So is there room in the world for all this girl-on-girl kissing?

You betcha.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Good thing for me you like the dirty girls with shovels.

Brad Barnes said...

damn skrate.

Troy Heard said...

Kids...please leave all discussion of your "yard implements" off the blog...there are impressionable youth around! And yeah, Perry's hot...

Brad Barnes said...

A shovel can make quite an impression indeed...