25 September 2008

'Fireproof' = Actorproof

Wow. I saw this trailer last night, in front of "Burn After Reading." The acting was so freaking bad that I half expected it to be a parody. I kept waiting for the overlay to say, "From the makers of 'Tropic Thunder!'" But no, it's real. And moreover, that's really Kirk Cameron.

Go ahead and click "Watch Trailer." I dare you to make it all the way through without laughing. Jenn and I both cracked up in the theater. She says she felt bad: "I didn't want to offend any Christians who might be in front of us." I says: "They hate crappy movies too."


I think the best part is how they make the double Os in "Fireproof" out of wedding rings. Awwww....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You love to think you are so esoteric that only a movie made by you and for you would be sophisticated or clever enough to occupy your vast, unfettered mind.

It wasn't meant to be Academy Award material. I saw it today, it is a message movie, and a good one at that. You caved to the man Duck boy.

Barnes said...

I caved to the man, but you hide behind anonymity? Whatever.

I've, uh, never made a movie, and there are plenty I think are fabulous. "In Bruges" is the best film this year so far, but frequent readers of this blog know I'll rave about mainstream stuff like "Iron Man" too.

But let me get this straight: Because it's a "message movie" it's OK to have lousy acting? That preview made Tyler Perry's movies look good. Message movies that don't suck: "Fargo," "Hotel Rwanda," "Dead Man Walking." Hell, I'll even give you "Apocalypto," though it was needlessly brutal.

This has nothing to do with it being a Christian production. It has to do with me not being able to watch the preview without laughing at how horrible it looks.

But glad you liked it, I guess.

Jenn said...

Now what was it Jesus said about judging? It's right on the tip of my tongue...

amanda said...

my favorite part is the angry look he makes after he's set the table for dinner and she shafts him.